Salma is a mother to three children; they recently started going to school. Every morning she is not sure how to prepare their lunch box meals. She wishes to make them a healthy appetizing meal that is rich in nutrients. Temptations and unhealthy options in school can make it difficult for them to follow a healthy diet, and she wants to help them avoid bad eating habits from a young age.
- Use a lunch box with an excellent quality, as it preserves food freshness for a longer time. Also, use one with a food organizer inside, as it helps separate food categories.
- Carbohydrates such as vegetables, rice, and pasta are essential when preparing your children’s meals; they are an excellent source of energy. It is easy to make a wheat bread sandwich with labneh, cheese, thyme, or hummus. And you can also include some mini pizzas if you have them ready made at home.
- Be sure to include at least one kind of fruit, such as an apple, an orange, bananas, strawberries or other fruit. It is advisable to cut the fruit, making it more appealing for the child to eat.
- Make sure to include fibrous ingredients such as cucumbers, tomatoes, broccoli, and carrots. You can also add these to their sandwiches to trick them into eating their vegetables.
- If your child is not allergic, add a handful of nuts, as they are an excellent source of healthy fats and sustainable energy.
- Include calcium-enriched products, such as fruit flavored yogurt and chocolate milk, as these help the bones and teeth to grow naturally.
- Include a small portion of dessert such as a home-made cake or jelly.
- Water is essential, as your child needs to stay hydrated. Make sure you pack his water bottle to keep him rejuvenated during the school day.
- Avoid fried food and mayonnaise, as it can go rancid very quickly in the hot weather, also avoid including carbonated sodas or drinks high in sugar.
- To make your child excited about his meals, we recommend using a lunch box with his favorite cartoon characters and colors. Also, try using cookie cutters of different shapes to cut the sandwiches to make it more enjoyable, and always make a variety of food choices so that your child does not get bored.