Serenity is the key for raising healthy and emotionally stable children. The environment surrounding your children is all they know, and they will act like sponges for each and every action of their parents. These effects are permanent, staying with an individual for a lifetime.
Life is far from being a fairytale. Family issues and disputes are normal and will occur in the course of a marriage. But how can you control them so that they never impact on your child’s psychology?
- Try to avoid discussing subjects that will create disputes and postpone them for when your children are not around.
- Avoid harsh criticism of your spouse in front of the children.
- Mutual respect and understanding between parents will nourish positive emotions for children, such as self-respect and serenity.
- Obviously avoid violence at all costs, as this would cause lasting damage to your children
- Forgive and forget, and avoid being hypercritical of your spouse’s mistakes.
- Allow your child to be a part of the solution when it comes to issues related to him.
- Reach agreement as a couple on the approaches and methods you will use for bringing up your children.
- Regardless of the issues between a couple, you should always speak positively about your spouse in his/her absence.
- If you have already had a fight with your spouse and your children witnessed it, have a conversation with them later to reassure them that disputes are normal in a marriage and that things will be alright eventually.