In this modern age, it has become more and more necessary to instill good values in our children. One of the most demanding responsibilities parents face is to raise their children with the best personal and social values, and how to effectively meet these challenges.
As parents will influence their children in the social world outside their home, here are a few important and basic steps to instilling good values in your children.
- Being an excellent role model for behavior is vital, as children will readily copy their parents. Use phrases such as “please” and “thank you” often whenever you ask you child to do something.
- Positive reinforcement is your best bet to encourage your child to continue to behave well.
- If you use force to demand that your child do something, this will instill negative emotions, therefore you must always ask gently.
What are the values you need to focus on?
- Preventing him from interrupting people when they speak:
One of the most important social values you can instill in your child is to avoid interrupting others. If you are talking with your child and he interrupts you, instruct him to avoid such behavior. Teach him how to respect others when they speak before he takes a turn in the conversation.
- Polite greetings:
Teach your child to greet others politely with phrases such as “Hello” and “Good morning,” and compliment him whenever he does so.
- Saying “please” and “thank you”:
It is important for the child to learn how to say “please” and “thank you” when asking for things from adults. Use these words with him and urge him to do the same.
- Visitation manners:
Once your child learns how to conduct himself in public, you will feel more comfortable taking him with you when visiting friends and family members. In order for you to achieve that, you will need to establish some rules, such as the aforementioned greetings, how to address adults, respecting the house of the person you are visiting, and being polite to other people.